BSK Associates’ Environmental Services Group grew out of our expertise with water, groundwater, and geologic environments during the early 1980s throughout California. Since then, we have developed expertise with not only the regulatory environment that has grown up around our client’s industries, but also around the business and operational needs of our clients, themselves. Our clients have come to appreciate and depend on BSK to help them through the maze of permitting and regulatory compliance requirements in a sensible and productive way. The highly experienced professional staff at BSK provides common-sense and creative solutions to environmental problems.
BSK’s wealth of knowledge and experience enables us to create solutions for projects ranging from permitting new facilities or discharges, through restoration of water and soil quality to meet the objectives of our clients, to achieving regulatory compliance. Our solutions often turn environmental liabilities into assets. We have successfully performed environmental projects for our clients in numerous markets and applications including:
Phase I / Phase II Environmental Site Assessments & Remediation
BSK assists our clients in their real estate transactions by conducting Phase I and Phase II Environmental Site Assessments. Our Phase I assessments are typically compliant with the ASTM Standard. However, sometimes specific lender or other guidelines also may be appropriate.
Our services have been provided for transactions such as:
- Property purchases
- Real estate portfolio divestments
Our more in-depth environmental assessments, including remediation and clean-closure experience includes work at:
- Superfund sites
- Landfills Underground storage tank sites
- Wastewater treatment plants
- Industrial sites
- Food processing, and metals and pesticide-contaminated sites.
Brownfields Revitalization Services
Our team is nationally recognized for their contributions to Brownfields development practices. Brownfields properties are properties that may not be of interest for development due to real or perceived environmental concern(s). BSK’s emphasis on obtaining and using Brownfields grants and other funding tools can convert blighted areas into areas of economic opportunity. This funding mechanism has resulted in over millions of dollars being granted to California communities to leverage additional funds and private sector interest.
Working with communities, owner, developers and regulators we collaborate on:
- Award winning EPA grant applications
- Grant management and reporting
- Effective community outreach and planning
- Inventory and priority of sites in GIS format (including planning level studies)
- Comprehensive Phase I and Phase II investigations
- CEQA/NEPA and other environmental analysis
- Cleanup planning integrating with Best Reuse Plans
- Addressing legal and regulatory concerns
- Cost saving cleanup actions
Hydrogeologic and Water Quality Services
BSK has completed a variety of surface water and groundwater hydrogeology projects, including water resource studies and contaminant investigations. Our experience includes projects in environments as hydrogeologically diverse as the soft muds of the San Francisco Bay Area and the dry, collapsing sands of California’s Central Valley.
We have developed and used efficient investigative methods tailored to each site. We employ those methods, ranging from basic hydrogeological measurements to sophisticated computer modeling, using data collected during field investigations. BSK’s broad range of water resources capabilities includes:
BSK’s broad range of water resources capabilities includes:
- Recycled water
- Salinity and nutrients characterization
- Surface water hydrology
- Watershed delineation
- Water resources planning
- Flood hazard mapping
- Water use efficiencies
- Water policy
- Litigation support
- Groundwater exploration
- Water quality investigations
- Water supply well design and construction
- Safe yield studies
- Aquifer testing
- Groundwater modeling
- Wellhead protection
- Aquifer recharge investigations
Oilfield (Upstream) Environmental Consulting Services
California’s new well stimulation permitting law-SB 4, increases regulatory oversight over all well stimulation activities, including hydraulic fracturing. Regulatory oversight agencies have also placed a focus on underground injection abandoned sumps and exempt aquifers. BSK can take the guess work out of complying with specific provisions of all regulations governing oilfield facilities and activities including SB 4. We have served the engineering and water-related needs of municipalities, agriculture and industry throughout Central California for over 55 years.
Our expertise includes:
- Groundwater planning & development
- Groundwater monitoring & reporting
- Water regulatory compliance
- Aquifer characterization
- Computer modeling
- Production well & water delivery systems design
- Contaminant plume characterization & remediation
- Water treatment systems
- Environmental assessments & compliance
- Analytical testing
- Data Management Services
BSK provides turnkey professional industrial and construction Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) assistance to our clients throughout California. Our construction storm water staff are Qualified SWPPP Developers (QSDs) and Qualified SWPPP Practitioners (QSPs), as required by the current state construction permit. Our QSDs and QSPs are fully trained and qualified to assist you on Risk Level 1, 2, and 3 traditional projects, as well as Type 1, 2, and 3 linear underground projects.
Our SWPPP services include:
- Preparation and submittal of the notice of intent and related permit registration documents.
- Evaluation of projects with regard to current storm water regulations and prepare a site-specific SWPPP
- SWPPP awareness and field training.
- Preparing rain event action plans
- Updating BMP drawings, reviewing and amending the SWPPP as necessary, and conducting site inspections.
- Performing storm water sampling and laboratory analysis.
- Providing regular weather updates to alert you to any predicted rain event.
- Providing a smooth and seamless permitting process so our clients can focus on their primary business concerns.
CEQA/NEPA and Environmental Permitting
The BSK California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) team works closely with lead/trustee/responsible agencies, project proponents, regulators, and stakeholders to achieve timely and cost-effective project approvals.
The BSK environmental team along with geologists, geotechnical engineers, hydrologists, and chemists work together to provide a seamless, integrated response to initial site reconnaissance, special studies, CEQA, and permitting documents. This service begins in the initial phases of the project and extends well beyond project buildout.
- Geology (https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/mapview/)
- Groundwater (http://geotracker.waterboards.ca.gov/)
- SB4 – Recommendations on Model Criteria for Groundwater Sampling, Testing, and Monitoring of Oil and Gas Development in California
- Oil Field Produced Water:
Underground Injection Control
Produced Water Ponds
- US EPA’s Aquifer Exemption Guidance Document provides a brief history of the aquifer exemption process
- Groundwater Resources Association of California | GRA
- EPA’s Brownfields Program
- Caltrans Contamination Decision Tree
- DTSC School Site Environmental Evaluation Process
Fresno, CA 93727
Local: (559) 497-2880
Toll-Free: (800) 669-3201
Hours of Operation
Individual Office Hours May Vary
Covid 19 protocols may impact normal business hours
Click Here to Find A Location Near You